DIRECTIONSClick on one of the questions to the left to write a blog post. Please refer to your "Writing an Effective Blog" handout as well as the "British Taxation and Colonial Response Blog" handout for specific expectations. Be sure to keep your blog posts on topic and use appropriate language.
- How are the American ideals of freedom, equality, liberty and progress in tension (or not in tension) with Native American policy in the late 18th century and early 19th century?
- How did United States Native American policy evolve and change from the late 18th century and the mid 1800s? If you could go back in time, how would you have shaped government policy towards Native Americans while still allowing the United States to expand west?
- How did Native Americans, specifically the Cherokees, resist removal? Why was this resistance ineffective? How could it have been more effective?
- How did Jackson defend the Indian Removal Act? Is his rationale convincing? Why or why not? Be sure to consider all historical circumstances, such the America’s population growth, economic depressions, and desire to establish itself among other nations and protect American land from foreign countries.
- Was conflict between Native Americans and Settlers/US Government inevitable? Was Indian Removal inevitable? Was the Trail of Tears inevitable?